A brief history
WELCOME TO BERMUDA CREDIT ASSOCIATION LIMITED
The Bermuda Credit Association was founded in 1957 by twelve charter member firms. The first office was at the rear of Gibbons Co. Hardware Division, Union Street, Hamilton, in premises formerly occupied by the Printing Division, Bermuda Press Ltd. This office was started by one employee, the former Manager George Brech an Englishman who was working on the island at the time, who starting on July 1st, 1957 began to compile sufficient records to finally open a Credit Bureau for service to a small group of firms on November 1st, 1957.
In 1959, the office was moved to second-floor premises over the linen and Silver Shop, Front Street, Hamilton and later in the same year the second permanent staff member was engaged. In May 1960 the office was moved again to the second floor of the Bermuda Chamber of Commerce premises.
Two highlights in 1961 were the Incorporation of the Association in March on the 15th, 1961 by an Act of Parliament via The Bermuda Credit Association Act which lead to the inception of the Collection Department that would then encompass both departments, Credit Reporting and Debt Collection. And in March 1962, the office was moved to its present location in the Mechanics Building, Church Street, Hamilton. At that date the office was operated by the Manager and four female staff members.
The Association performs and increasingly important function in the community in general. This pinnacle has not been reached without difficulties and hard work.